Monday 20 December 2010

Half way there – can you tell I’m counting down?


Day 4

I’ve been living below the line for 4 days now, which means I’m half way through my challenge – YAY !!! 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m doing fine. I have a roof over my head, clothes to keep me warm, and a good health that doesn’t require any long-term medication. In fact, I should be ashamed that my reasons for counting down to the morning of Christmas Eve, when I FINISH this challenge, are rather insignificant ones… (Divine Dark Chocolate with Raspberries is on that list too!) But mid-point is a good time for thoughts and reflections. My conclusion: Yes, I will easily manage to take on the next 4 days to Live Below the Line.

Being a Sunday, I didn’t get up too early. Then after rushing around doing things, I was on my way to my friend’s place to celebrate her birthday. As I received the invitation before I started the challenge, I deducted 80p from my daily £1 allowance and didn’t spend it on extra food either (that would be cheating). Additionally, I didn’t eat anything at home to make sure I wouldn’t go over but stay below the line. It worked out quite well. Polenta and vegetables are well within my budget.

I had quite a few discussions about this challenge over dinner, and most people asked me what I would be eating for £1 per day (particularly in London). Some even assumed I would only have one meal per day, which is not true.

The interesting thing, however, was that quite often it was me who moved the discussions beyond talking about the choice of food and variety/ number of meals I have. I frequently highlighted that for the 1.4 billion people living on under £1 per day food is not the only issue, which they lack or which they have to spend their £1 on. That ‘piece of information’ was enough to deepen conversations about extreme poverty. Great, way to go!

I’m always interested in finding out how much, if anything, people know about extreme poverty. I’m certainly no expert but I’m motivated to open up or join conversations about this issue and tell people whatever I know to raise awareness.

Living Below the Line is making an impact on me. Often, I catch myself thinking that I can’t go somewhere because transport costs are too high, and I have already spent my daily £1. I keep reminding myself that I only live below the line on food, and everything else is excluded – unlike for 1.4 billion people worldwide where everything is included in the £1. I wish I could change that quickly and forever. And then I would reward myself with one of the many things I couldn’t have while living below the line. 

Bring on the second half, I’d say!

No comments:

Post a Comment