Saturday 18 December 2010

Cancelling plans due to lack of planning

Day 3

Like every weekend, I spent most of the afternoon of my third day in a local café to work on my laptop – big mistake. I don’t know if any of you realised that food and hot drinks smell sooooo much nicer when you can’t have them?!? Being vegan and gluten intolerant I actually know that particular café I went to doesn’t have much on offer in regards to my special dietary requirements. However, today I thought any smell that passed my nose smelt delicious. Then there was a point where I couldn’t bear it anymore so I took out my home-made lunch that I brought with me – along with my own water so I wouldn’t have to continuously ask staff for a cup of water and draw attention to me. After all I didn’t buy anything although I sat there for hours… In all honesty – my lunch didn’t even smell nearly as nice as the café food.

The lack of choice and planning ahead are certainly key aspects when you live on under £1 per day. I can’t just buy food on the go. If I’m hungry while I’m out, I either eat something I take with me from home or I wait until I get back to eat then - and potentially fade away in between (my portions aren’t that big, as I'm afraid of running out of food before next Thursday).

Last night was a good example. My breakfast and lunch weren’t as filling as I was hoping so I needed to ensure my dinner was, otherwise I could have easily gone to bed hungry – again! So instead of attending a class to which I was planning on going, I “had to” stay home and cook dinner. I knew I wasn’t able to wait until I got back home to eat then. So I had to cancel my plans for the night because I didn’t plan ahead and cooked something earlier to take with me.  I basically didn’t have much of a choice other than to stay at home and cook.

I’m glad I’m capable of learning from mistakes so I could go to my local café with my own food and work today - even if I was tortured by those smells...

No comments:

Post a Comment