Friday 17 December 2010

Going to bed hungry


Day 2
Food I would have loved to buy but couldn't afford

“You can’t compare it” are words that stuck in my head all day today.
I went to the market to get my vegetables for the next seven days, as they are much cheaper there (I paid as little as £1.66 for 5 large potatoes, 4 onions, 4 carrots and 1 sweet potato). After looking at various prices and the products I couldn’t afford, I picked the veggies that were reasonably priced.

This is all I am going to eat for the next 7 days.
The veggies are all I could afford for the week.
The discussion opened up with the very friendly and chatty woman at the veggie stall, and we were talking about my Live Below the Line challenge. We didn’t talk for long as that’s not good business for her and there were other people waiting to be served. But we talked for long enough for me to explain what I am doing. She asked me straight away if I have been to any of those countries where people live in extreme poverty. Without giving me a chance to respond she continued saying she’s been there, she’s seen it all. “You can’t compare it” were her last words before she shifted her attention to the next customer.

Of course, she is right. I am only living below the line for food and drinks. The £1 doesn’t include the medication I am currently taking for my cold. It doesn’t pay for my rent or transport. People living in extreme poverty only have that £1/ day to pay for everything, not just food – shelter, education, health, clothes, and everything else apart from the air they breathe, as my friend Sandrine pointed out.

My attempt on doing the challenge is not to compare the situations because there is no comparison! How could I possibly compare my challenge to someone living in one of the poorest countries in the world, where 70% or more of the population lives in extreme poverty? How could I compare myself to someone who has no choices about how to spend their little money?

All I want to achieve is raising awareness and get discussions going about this issue. There are 1.4 billion people worldwide who live in extreme poverty! That has to change!

On my way home from the market I was thinking about the meals I would cook today. Last night I went to bed hungry because I had my small dinner way to early. I didn’t want to repeat that so today I started my day with a late breakfast – almost found myself licking the bowl, as I was still hungry after finishing my cereals.

The breakfast I have every day
My lunch (left) and a meal for another day. 

For lunch I had a bean and sweet potato curry – no rice or anything else with it though. For dinner I will cook a yellow split pea soup with a carrot and a potato in it. I hope that will keep me going for longer and I won’t have to go to bed hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment